Gardening Into The Future.
Gardening is enjoying renewed interest in the US and around the world. We are trudging down the garden path of our grandparents to plant our own Victory Gardens. We dig in the dirt and drop in a few seeds and a miracle happens...food appears! Home gardening seems so safe, we know what we put on our food and we can choose organic or non-organic methods, but the line is beginning to blur. Can Genetically Modified(GM) crops be "Organic"? How do we know if seeds are GM or not? Where do garden seeds come from? Who grows fruits and vegetables just for the seeds? Monsanto is the worlds largest supplier of garden seed in the world, so how do we trust that they are selling us the seeds we want? Currently there is no way to know.
Monsanto is the largest supplier of seeds in the world, but they don't seem very proud of the fact. I doubt I will ever see a package of Monsanto Brand Big Beef Tomatoes but they own that variety. Big Beef Tomato Seeds are resold by dozens of seed companies including Johnny's and Burpee, but nowhere do they say "Proudly Produced by Monsanto Seeds..." In fact 23% of the Tomato seeds sold in the WORLD come from Monsanto and none of them say so on the package. Monsanto is also the creator of "Round-up Ready" seeds and "Terminator" Seeds. When will these dubious "atributes" be incorporated into vegetable garden seeds? Very Very soon.
Monsanto subsidiary Seminis is announcing "Seedless Tomatoes" on it's website. Tomatoes WITHOUT SEEDS. "Seedless" is the basic foundation of "Terminator" seeds...they don't reproduce. I felt a chill down my spine at the thought of that. When bees visit the flowers of these tomatoes, they will cross pollinate with other tomatoes....how long does it take to make ALL tomatoes SEEDLESS? The only seeds available will be from Monsanto!
Seeds are the foundation of the future of our food supply, yet it is almost impossible to find out where the seeds come from. Even Heirloom varieties can be contaminated, and if they are, all the better for Monsanto. It is time to care for our own future by being more careful where we get our seeds. Boycott the GM seeds and be watchful for your neighbors to prevent cross-contamination. And, learn how to collect your own seeds for the coming season.
A partial list of who controls food seeds in the US and around the world:
DeltaPine Australia Pty Limited - Dec-99
Holden's/Cotton States - Mar-03
De Ruiter Seeds - 2008
Delta & Pine - Aug-06 (again) World’s largest cotton seed company. Developer of Terminator Technology. Annual sales, 2004: US$315 million-Owns:
* Ellis Brothers Seed
* Arizona Processing
* Mississippi Seed Co.
* Hartz Cotton
* Sure Grow Seeds
* D&PL South Africa, Inc.
* D&PL Semillas Ltda (Costa Rica)
* Deltapine Australia Pty. Ltd.
* Turk DeltaPine, Inc. (Turkey)
* Deltapine India Seed Private Ltd.
* D&M International, LLC:
* D&PL China Pte Ltd.
* Hebei Ji Dai Cottonseed Technology Company Ltd.
* CDM Mandiyu S.R.L. (Argentina)
* MDM Sementes De Algodao, Ltda. (Brazil)
* DeltaMax Cotton, LLC (50%)
As of Nov, 2008, over 170,000 Indian Farmers have committed suicide over crop failures of Monsanto Seeds.
Semillas Cristiani Burkard - June-06?
Mahyco - 2003
American Seeds Inc - NOV-04 ownes:
Channel Bio Seeds - NOV-04
Crow's Hybrid Corn - Feb-05
Midwest Seed Genetics - Feb-05
Wilson Seeds - Feb-05
NC+ Hybrids - Mar-05
Emergent Genetics - Mar-05
Fontanelle Hybrids - Sept-05
Stewart Seeds - Sept-05
Trelay Seeds - Sept-05
Stone Seeds - Sept-05
Specialty Hybrids - Sept-05
Gold Country Seed Inc. - Mar-06
Heritage Seeds - Mar-06
Diener Seeds - Sept-06
Kruger Seed Company - June-06
Landec's - Dec-06
Fielder's Choice Direct - Dec-06
Heartland Hybrids - Dec-06
First Line Seeds
Seminis - Jan-07 ownes:
Asgrow Vegetable Seeds
Sementes Agroceres (vegetable seed division)
Monsanto now assumes a leading market share in the global vegetable seed market, where they were virtually invisible before:
Beans Monsanto controls 31% of the global seed market
Cucumbers Monsanto controls 38% of the global seed market
Hot Pepper Monsanto controls 34% of the global seed market
Sweet Pepper Monsanto controls 29% of the global seed market
Tomato Monsanto controls 23% of the global seed market
Onions Monsanto controls 25% of the global seed market
Monsanto Brand Names Sold By Seminis: All seeds using these trademarked names are created and owned by Monsanto:
Ancho San Martin Peppers
Apollo Seedless watermelon
Baby Star Romaine
Bambino mini-personal watermelons
Big Beef Hybrid Tomato
Bistro Lamb’s Lettuce
Castle Dome Broccoli(PS 1536)
CMS Liberty Broccoli
Coronado Crown Broccoli
Fairy Tale Eggplant
Mariachi Hybrid pepper
Obsession Sweet Corn
Orange Glory Peppers
Passion Hybrid yellow sweet corn
Picus Roma Tomato(XP 01429864)
Red Glory Peppers
Red Knight (with X3R *copyright) Pepper
Rumbo Winter Squash
Socrates (with X3R *copyright) hybrid pepper
Sun King Hybrid tomato
Sunny Delight Scallop Squash
Tiffany Hybrid tomato
AND, NEARLY 2400 MORE!
Seed Catalog Companies Supplied by Seminis(Monsanto)
Burpee, W Atlee
J.W. Jung Seed Co.
E & R Seed Co.
Earl May Seed
Earl May Seed
Mountain Valley Seed
Johnnys Selected Seeds
Mountain Valley Seeds
Goway Seed Co.
Keithly-Williams Seed Co
Osborn Int'l Seed Co
Rocky Mountain Seed Co.
Santa Maria Seeds
Scott Seed Co
T & T Seeds
Tomato Growers Supply
Select Seeds of Arizona
Snow Seed Co
Timothy, Stewart & Lekos
Willhite Seed Co
White Seed Co
DeWitt Seed Co
Holmes Seed Co
Jordan Seed Co
Kelly Seed Co
Rispen's & Son
Rupp Seed Co
Siegers Seed Co
Stokes Seeds Limited
AND, MANY MANY MORE!
Syngenta - June-08
* Advanta BV (North American corn and soybean business – Garst brand)
* Northrup King (NK)
* Asgrow Vegetable Seeds
* Funk Seed Intl.
* Rogers Bros.
* Zaadunie BV (Neth.)
* McNair Seed
* Cokers Pedigreed
* CC Benoist
* Maisadour Semences
* Eridania Beghin-Soy
* Golden Harvest (6/04)
* Dia-Engei (Japan) 2/04
* CHS Research LLC (04)
* GA21 (technology) (04)
Devgen - Sept-07
Delta & Pine Land(Monsanto) Subsidiaries (as of November 2005)
D&M INTERNATIONAL, LLC
D&PL ARGENTINA, INC.
D&PL CHINA, INC.
D&PL CHINA PTE, LTD.
D&PL INVESTING CORP.
D&PL INVESTMENTS, INC.
DELTAPINE PARAGUAY, INC.
D&PL SOUTH AFRICA, INC.
D&PL INTERNATIONAL TECHNOLOGY CORP.
DELTA PINE DE MEXICO S. DE R.L. DE C.V.
DELTAPINE AUSTRALIA PTY. LIMITED
GREENFIELD SEED COMPANY, LLC
HEBEI JI DAI COTTONSEED TECHNOLOGY COMPANY, LTD. (CHINA)
PAYMASTER TECHNOLOGY CORP.
TURK DELTAPINE, INC. (TURKEY)
D&PL SEMILLAS LTDA. (COSTA RICA)
CDM MANDIYU S.R.L. (ARGENTINA)
DELTA AND PINE LAND HELLAS MONOPROSOPI, E.P.E. (GREECE)
D&PL BRASIL, LTDA.
ANHUI AN DAI COTTONSEED TECHNOLOGY COMPANY, LTD. (CHINA)
D&PL TECHNOLOGY HOLDING COMPANY LLC.
D&M BRASIL ALGODAO, LTDA
MDM SEMENTES DE ALGODAO LTDA (BRAZIL)
SURE GROW, LLC
D&PL INDIA, LLC
DELTAPINE INDIA SEED PRIVATE LTD. (INDIA)
D&PL MAURITIUS LIMITED
Companies Owned or Licensed By DuPont:
* Pioneer Hi-Bred Intl. (USA)
* Pioneer Argentina S.A.
* Pioneer Hi-Bred Australia Pty Ltd
* Pioneer Hi-Bred Services GmbH (Austria)
* Pioneer Hi-Bred Northern Europe (Belgium)
* Pioneer Sementes Ltda. (Brazil)
* Pioneer Semena Bulgaria
* Pioneer Hi-Bred Limited (Canada)
* Semillas Pioneer Chile Ltda.
* Shandong Denghai-PIONEER Seeds (China)
* DuPont de Colombia S.A.
* Pioneer Sjeme d.o.o. (Croatia)
* Pioneer Hi-Bred Services (Czech Rep.)
* Misr Pioneer Seed Company (Egypt)
* Pioneer Hi-Bred Seeds (Ethiopia)
* Pioneer Semences SAS (France)
* Pioneer Hi-Bred N. Europe (Germany
* Pioneer Hi-Bred Hellas (Greece)
* Pioneer Hi-Bred Magyarország Kft. (Hungary)
* PHI Seeds Ltd. (India)
* PT DuPont Indonesia
* Pioneer Hi-Bred Italia
* Pioneer Hi-Bred Japan
* Farmchem Seedlinks Limited (Kenya)
* Chemicals & Marketing Co. (Malawi)
* PHI Mexico SA de CV
* Pioneer Hi-Bred N. Europe (Neth.)
* Genetic Technologies, Ltd. (New Zealand)
* Pioneer Pakistan Seed Ltd
* Melo & Cia, C.A. (Panama)
* Pioneer Hi-Bred Philippines
* Pioneer Hi-Bred Services GmbH (Poland)
* Pioneer Hi-Bred Sementes de Portugal
* Pioneer Hi-Bred Puerto Rico
* Pioneer Hi-Bred Seeds Agro (Romania)
* Pioneer Semena Holding GmbH (Russia)
* Pioneer Hi-Bred Services (Serbia & Montenegro)
* Pioneer Hi-Bred Slovensko (Slovakia)
* Pioneer Hi-Bred Services (Slovenia)
* Pioneer Hi-Bred RSA (South Africa)
* South Korea O.M.C.
* Pioneer Hi-Bred Spain SL
* Bytrade Tanzania Limited
* Pioneer Hi-Bred (Thailand) Co.
* Pioneer Tohumculuk (Turkey)
* Pioneer Nasinnya Ukraine, LLC
* Pioneer Hi-Bred N. Europe (UK)
* Agar Cross Uruguaya S.A
* Semillas Pioneer de Venezuela
* Farmchem Services Ltd. (Zambia)
* Pioneer Hi-Bred Zimbabwe
Companies Owned by Land O Lakes (USA)
* Croplan Genetics
* Hytest Seeds
* Agriliance (joint venture with CHS, Inc.)
* ABI Alfalfa
* Seed Research of Oregon
* Pickseed Companies Group
* Seeds Ohio
* Forage Genetics Inc.
Land O’ Lakes is a giant agribusiness cooperative with total sales of $7,700 million. The company’s 2004 seed sales were $538 million, specializing in alfalfa, maize, soybeans and forage and turf grasses. About one-half of the seed sold by Land O’Lakes is purchased from Monsanto & Syngenta and then sold to coops.
Seed Companies Owned or Licensed by Dow Chemical:
* Cargill Hybrid Seeds
* United Agriseeds
* Morgan Seeds (Argentina)
* Kelten & Lynks
* Delta & Pine Land (corn & sorghum only)
* Dinamilho Carol Productos (Brazil)
* Hibridos Colorado Ltda. (Brazil)
* FT Biogenetica de Milho (Brazil)
* Phytogen (w/J.G. Boswell)
* Empresa Brasileira de Sementes (Brazil)
Companies Owned or Licensed by NOVARTIS INTERNATIONAL, AG
NOVARTIS SEEDS, INC.
Northrup King Co.
Novartis NK, Inc
Companies Owned or Licensed by ASTRAZENECA, PLC
GARST SEED COMPANY
AGRIPRO SEEDS, INC.